LisaHenry

Lisa Henry

I'm a writer. I write m/m erotica. Kind of dark stuff, even though in real life I like rainbows and puppies and kittens. Not all at once though. That would be overwhelming.

Whatever The Cost
Teahouse
Emirain

Review: Kraken by M. Caspian

Kraken - M. Caspian

Oh FML. I just wrote out a whole review and then deleted it by mistake.

I think these were the important points:

You guys, read this book. It's proper horror creepy. Same vibe as Soulless

I thought I knew was I was getting into -- a smutty piece of fluff with a man who is molested by a tentacle monster but it's okay because he likes it in the end. That is not this book. This book is creepy. I said that, right? It's the word I keep coming back to.

It has the following elements:

1. A monster. See title. Check.
2. An isolated location. An island. Check.
3. Creepy locals. You know those assholes know exactly what's going on, but you don't know whose side they're on. Check.
4. A guy who wanders into the middle of everything and happens to be the next chosen sacrifice. Check.

But that's not all this book has got. It's got a fantastic sense of place -- the descriptions of the landscapes weren't just visual, they were visceral. The island has it's own history, of both its people and its industries. And the atmosphere just gets creepier and creepier, like the rolling fog in a 1940's gothic film. The details here are fantastic. I don't want to give any spoilers, so I'll just say -- the birds! Oh my god, the birds! There are so many layers here, that I will definitely be rereading it, and at a slower pace this time so I don't miss a thing.

Read this book, you guys. It's currently FREE on Smashwords, which must be a terrible mistake, because M. Caspian deserves some cash for this effort. And it's not short either - it's novel length.

Also read this book because I want to talk to someone about how awesome it was.