LisaHenry

Lisa Henry

I'm a writer. I write m/m erotica. Kind of dark stuff, even though in real life I like rainbows and puppies and kittens. Not all at once though. That would be overwhelming.

Whatever The Cost
The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal
E.K. Weaver
Teahouse
Emirain
Vassily the Beautiful - Angel Martinez 4.5 stars.

A deceptively simple retelling of the Russian folktale Vassilia The Beautiful. I said "deceptive" because while on the surface it's a quick sex-change so that now Vassilia is Vassily, and old Russia is a futuristic space colony, it really is better than that. No cheap substitutions here. The story stands on its own, despite its origins. Most importantly, the book retains that dreamlike sense of a fairytale, while at the same time the characters are vividly drawn.

Vassily and Sumerki are wonderful, and the supporting cast is well-drawn. Of course I didn't much like Vassily's mother, but if people didn't recklessly remarry in fairytales, where would all the step-evils come from?

Also, I love Baba Yaga! I was never sure as a kid how to take stories with Baba Yaga in them, because I could never decide if she was supposed to be a scary, evil witch, or the most awesome character ever. In this book, she's both, and I love her!

Side note: The cover is beautiful. Vassily is gorgeous.