LisaHenry

Lisa Henry

I'm a writer. I write m/m erotica. Kind of dark stuff, even though in real life I like rainbows and puppies and kittens. Not all at once though. That would be overwhelming.

Whatever The Cost
Teahouse
Emirain

Review: Inferno, by Scarlet Blackwell

Inferno - Scarlet Blackwell

3.5 stars. 5 stars for the first part of the book.

I loved the first three quarters of this. Seriously, it was like watching a car crash in slow motion, and I mean that as a compliment.

Zack is a detective, investigating a murder in Dante's club. And he gets way too involved. First of all he hates Dante because he's in lust with him (and Dante knows it), and he really, really wants to prove Dante is the killer. Then he visits the club when he's off duty. And then he leaves his DNA in places he shouldn't...

Yep, I told myself as I was reading. Zack is in the shit now. Behaviour like this has consequences, Zack. You don't screw your prime suspect, however hot he is. And when covering that up becomes your focus instead of trying to find the killer, you're in all sorts of trouble.

But then it went wrong for me. Zack lost his job, and so did the crime scene guy, and I felt sorry for them but I loved the realism. But the realism didn't last. Because Zack got his job back by going to the Commissioner and claiming he was discriminated against because he was gay.

And I was a bit:"Um, okay, you lied during an investigation, you disposed of evidence, and because of that the prosecution of a killer fails. Zack, I love you, but you're an idiot and you should be in JAIL. But because everyone kinda likes you, you got your job back. Nup, sorry, no way. You're gone.

Sidenote: And Dante is seeing a therapist? Seriously? He should ask for his money back.

The ending was the sticking point for me. I couldn't get past it.

And that whole thing at the end where Zack is crowned King of Midsummer? That seemed like it belonged in another book. With maybe another character.

On the plus side, I loved the chemistry between Zack and Dante. Scarlet Blackwell does alpha bastards so very, very well. And I loved Zack's partner Claire. She was a well-rounded character on her own and, for once in m/m, wasn't there to be a woman scorned.

This is still a good book, if you can suspend your disbelief in order to get to the HEA.