LisaHenry

Lisa Henry

I'm a writer. I write m/m erotica. Kind of dark stuff, even though in real life I like rainbows and puppies and kittens. Not all at once though. That would be overwhelming.

Whatever The Cost
The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal
E.K. Weaver
Teahouse
Emirain
The Price of Falling - Melanie Tushmore I wanted to like this book a lot more than I actually did. The idea is fantastic -- a high school jock finds out that a boy in his class is prostituting himself for cash. And he has cash... Sexy good times, moral ambiguity and a shitload of angst ahead!

Except I just couldn't connect to the MC Mike. I didn't hate him, I just didn't care very much about him. I actually liked Jason a lot better, teenage angry mood swings and general assholery included. Because I got Jason. I understood a bit of where he was coming from. I understood his self-destructiveness, his pride, and his sheer mercenary streak. And maybe I hung around with kids like that in high school...

I really did enjoy the first half of this book, but the second half lost me. Mike is what...18? And he didn't graduate high school... And suddenly he's making a fortune in New York in a job he is not qualified for and has no understanding of? I mean, I know a lot of people did a lot of coke in the 80s, but really? To be honest it all felt a bit soap-opera. Spurned prodigal son is cast out of home, only to return later with money and power dripping off him. I would have liked it a lot more if Mike had got a normal job.

So I really enjoyed the first half of this book, but personally found the second half to be a let down. But maybe you'll like it more than me!